COMMUNITY

Stringing Crossbows

Notifications
Clear all

Stringing Crossbows

Miles Christi
(@montfort1218)
Eminent Member

Is anyone else adding strings to their crossbows?  I was doing mine last night when I got to the spanning figures and realised this may pose some problems.  Judging by where the stirrup is on the figure's belt, the string should meet the bow above the figure's left hand (I was planning to do separate strings for each side of the bow), but their bent knees would get in the way.  Should I just content myself with the fact that the spanning figures will have to be without strings, or has anyone else found a solution to this?

Volo vincere cum meis, vel occumbere cum eisdem.

Topic starter Posted : 21/02/2021 8:19 am
Miles Christi
(@montfort1218)
Eminent Member

Looks like this may be my own peculiar crusade, but I thought I'd share my progress on a few of the crossbowmen I've been preparing.  The bolts are trimmed down arrows from the command sprue of the Perrys' War of the Roses infantry box, and the strings have been done with either thread or wire (pictured).  The results for the spanning figures are a little mixed, but I didn't think the strings winding round the legs was too noticeable.  I've added a small bit of wire hanging down over the string underneath the figure to simulate (rather crudely) a spanning hook.  Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2021 11:58 am
Who am I? liked
Who am I?
(@who-am-i)
Trusted Member

They look good, but to me are rather heavy looking.  It is probably just the archer in me though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2021 8:28 pm
Miles Christi
(@montfort1218)
Eminent Member

@who-am-i The wire, you mean?  I think you're right.  I wanted them to be straight so it would look like there was full tension on the string, and the thread can be a bit more fiddly that way (plus the cotton can throw off all sorts of messy bits of fluff).  So I used the thread for the ones that would need to bend round the knees.

I'll see how these turn out when painted, and then maybe I'll try using thread for the crossbowmen the BW3 Kickstarter has coming my way.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2021 7:46 am
Who am I?
(@who-am-i)
Trusted Member

I've had a bit of a think on the thread/wire.  Have you considered using fishing line?  You can get it at 1lb(454g) and is quite fine (approx 0.06mm) without messy fluff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 7:35 pm
Batjer
(@batjer)

@who-am-i

what about using an old plastic styrene (sprue)

heated (flame/lighter) and stretched out to the desired thickness?
It worked well for ariel antennas on model airplanes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 9:54 pm
Miles Christi
(@montfort1218)
Eminent Member

@who-am-i @batjer Excellent suggestions both!  I will give the fishing line a try first; the styrene sounds durable, but I can see myself having a mess of melted plastic all over the model as I try to work it into shape before it dries!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/04/2021 10:02 am
Batjer
(@batjer)

@montfort1218

let the sprue cool and it’s bendable to glue clip and shape to fit 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2021 10:45 pm
Share:
Buy now