COMMUNITY

Notifications
Clear all

The Crusades

abikapi2
(@abikapi2)

Without expanding the range, would be possible to include the Fifth Crusade?

Thank You

Stefano

Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2020 5:14 pm
Andy Hobday
(@andy-hobday)
Member Admin

What force lists would you include for players to choose from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2020 5:46 pm
Who am I?
(@who-am-i)
Trusted Member

Naffatun could be a start.  Where as bows, swords, spear and most other weapons in the rules can be used pretty much as is and tweaked within the listed stats, the fire pots don’t have a suitable match (though “fire” is mentioned... several times where there’s no combustion. 😏😋)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 12:49 am
abikapi2
(@abikapi2)

Bow armed Cavalry with Hit and Run Rules and with light armour

Stubborn Holy Orders

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 4:33 pm
Jehan
(@jehan)

@andy-hobday I would use the main framework from perfect Captain's excellent Ironbow rules.

Western: as we know them, maybe more drilled/less hotheaded - according to S. Tribble, (The Crusader Armies) they were far more disciplined and trained compared to european armies given the state of constant war and the danger of total annihilation. No more rules like Chivalry , maybe? It doesn't make too much sense in Outremer, anyway  

East: more of a combined arms approach, much bow and infantry/cavalry mixed together. More focused on repeated charges instead of an all-out engagement (although spear & lance differences already model this quite well, imho). Light cavalry far better than western

Nomad: horse archers, horse archers and some more horse archers. These could also be mercenaries in Syrian arab armies and such, of course

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2021 8:11 pm
JannerXI
(@jannerxi)

Conflict was hardly unknown in the West and lay households in the Latin East were as militarily active as Military Orders. 

Research into lay households indicates that they were bound by family and locality. In comparison, Military Orders drew membership from a broad area and rarely served in the same conroi as their relatives. Unlike lay households, there was, it seems, considerable disturbance in the composition of their subunits and garrisons.

I have argued elsewhere that the Rule of the Templars was an attempt to replicate the cohesion that was routine in lay household in an organisation that seemingly moved personnel between locations on a fairly regular basis.

I fear that Steve Tribble has overstated his case.

Combined arms was also the norm in the West. Indeed, tournaments in this period generally included large number of infantry. Repeated charges by individual conroi working in concert were also seemingly the norm 👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2021 8:34 am
Tonius
(@tonius)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @jehan

@andy-hobday I would use the main framework from perfect Captain's excellent Ironbow rules.

Western: as we know them, maybe more drilled/less hotheaded - according to S. Tribble, (The Crusader Armies) they were far more disciplined and trained compared to european armies given the state of constant war and the danger of total annihilation. No more rules like Chivalry , maybe? It doesn't make too much sense in Outremer, anyway  

East: more of a combined arms approach, much bow and infantry/cavalry mixed together. More focused on repeated charges instead of an all-out engagement (although spear & lance differences already model this quite well, imho). Light cavalry far better than western

Nomad: horse archers, horse archers and some more horse archers. These could also be mercenaries in Syrian arab armies and such, of course

Wouldn't it be the opposite. The Western troops arrive in the Holy Land. They are eager to fight the enemies of God. Have no experience against the various Muslim troops and so are to quick to charge and etc. While the knights / armies of the Outremer, have way more experience against the tactics of the various Muslim troops.

Anyway I am really looking forward to a Crusades expansion with various new miniatures. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2021 4:34 pm
Share:
Buy now